An Audacious Attitude
Do you ever want to give God your thoughts in a particular situation? Do you let Him know how you think He should work things out? I know I do. Pretty audacious, even ludicrous when you think about it.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts higher than your thoughts.”
It is comical really. God sees time from beginning to end, all at once. He knows exactly how to execute His plan down to the finest detail. He has all knowledge of what needs to be done in a situation and He has all power to do it. Yet, we try to tell Him what needs to be done. What it is, is foolishness on my part to think He would need my help.
Let’s go to the verses:
“‘For My thoughts are not your thoughts… ‘”
To understand the thoughts of God is definitely beyond us. His thoughts are beautiful and perfect beyond anything we can imagine. In reality, through time spent with Him in His Word and in prayer, we can know Him better and better. However, we will never be able to completely grasp how He thinks.
“‘…neither are your ways My ways,’ declares the LORD.”
Things to Consider
- We will never be like God in holiness and love, no matter how hard we try. His ways are higher because He is God – Creator of everything; the all-powerful lover of our souls.
- He is not human; He is not finite. (not limited)
- We are not God; We are not infinite. (not unlimited)
- God is infinite – His power, love, grace, beauty… go on for infinity! Infinity is forever – as far as you can see and way beyond – endlessly.
“‘As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts higher than your thoughts.'”
When I think about how big the earth is – huge, massive… it is almost inconceivable. Now though, consider the entire universe in comparison to the earth.
Here in verse 9, God gives us a picture of the difference between us and Him, then He repeats what He said to us in verse 8. If you read on into the verses that follow, He continues to paint a beautiful picture of Himself for us. He is truly awesome and amazing.
It occurs to me now that anytime I try to give God solutions or suggestions on how to fix things, I am
- Suggesting that I might think of something that He has not thought of
- Suggesting that He should go about my way of resolving a situation
- Ultimately, I am daring to attempt to put myself on His throne by trying to do His job.
As I think about this scripture on those terms, I am very humbled and convicted. How full of pride I am! To think that He might need my answers is to lose sight of who He is. He is God – all-powerful, all-knowing, ever-present God. What a mighty God we serve!!!
Things to Ponder:
- This amazing God is never without the answers to questions or the solutions to problems.
- He is never surprised or stressed out.
- He is always in complete control with complete power to maintain that control.
Go Deeper Today: